Monday, December 14, 2009

Oh, Pickles!

You know how in What to Expect When You're Expecting they talk about your water breaking and tell the story of the lady who carried around a jar of pickles in case her water broke in public so she could drop the jar and pretend that that was where the liquid came from? I keep thinking about that.

I'm sure that's an extreme case, and I know that I'm a little on the opposite extreme when it comes to being easily embarrassed, but I have to wonder, do women actually worry much about their water breaking in public (beyond the obviously awkward "Now what do I do?")? If it happened to me I can imagine that I might think or exclaim any of the following:

"Woo Hoo! My water broke!"
"Aaaak! My water broke!"
or
"How about that? My water broke!"

But NEVER:

"My water did NOT just break. This jar of pickles, on the other hand, Whoops! That broke! And most of the pickle juice? Oh! It splashed right up on my crotch and down my legs!"

Never that.

And I'd be happy for my water to break anywhere just now. Preferably at the hospital, though. Within the next few hours. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment