Sunday, April 12, 2009

Grace

A few days ago I gathered the makings of that Easter egg resurrection lesson. This is the first year I'm doing it with the kids (they've never seen it at church before, of course). I felt really strange and sad while collecting nails and making a little cross and writing out a miniature "King of the Jews" sign.

I remember when I was younger always feeling grateful for what Christ did for me, but I also remember wondering why it was such a big deal. I mean the dying for us. I thought, probably a lot of people would be willing to die to save everyone else. Even suffering a painful and prolonged death. Many people have died for family and country or what they believe.

I don't think it was very long after having those thoughts that I remembered the atonement. There's something no one else every could or would do.

I am so grateful for Christ's sacrifice for me. I am grateful for his death which brought resurrection and immortality and for his atonement which gives me a shot at eternal life.

A CD arrived unexpectedly in our mailbox before we left for Greg's parent's house for the Easter break. We've been listening to it a lot and one of the hymns on it is a favorite of mine "Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing". I love the lyrics (I can't hear or think of the refrain without getting teary) and I love the melody. The last verse captures just how I feel, especially at this time of year, so I will write it here.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, as a fetter,
Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
Sorry this post is diconjointed and incomplete. I wrote half at home and half here at Greg's parent's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment