Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ruined

Not us. We're not ruined (keeping our fingers crossed that that trend continues). It was our weekend getaway that was ruined. Oh wait, it wasn't that either. It was the castle we were visiting. Yes, I knew I'd get it eventually.



One of my favorite things to see in Poland is the castles. There are billions of them (or so), since Poland lies between, um, Russia and Germany. Lucky her. It made it pretty necessary to have castles within view of each other for defensive purposes. In Cracow you have the gorgeous Wawel castle located right on the banks of the river. That one's been restored. Many of them have. I prefer my castles ruined, though.







So this past weekend we decided to spend at the Ogrodzieniec castle. It's gorgeous and is built on naturally formed rocks. Greg didn't get any pictures that capture its grandeur, so here's one I swiped off of google to give you an idea of the scale of it. (There are some much more awesome ones in the search I did, though).

egim1.wordpress.com

The first day we just wandered around outside the walls and picnicked. Pregnant Lisa can walk and pregnant Lisa can sit and lie down. What she can't do is stand in place, which means I was doing this (left leg elevated, of course):


While the kids sifted through the rocks that are everywhere in search of fossils. Those rocks are so full of fossils it's not even funny. It is cool, though. Greg looked up information about fossils on his iphone and gave the kids a little geology and, um, fossilization lesson there.

I was also laying around while the kids helped each other climb the rocks:


It was a fun day



The next day we explored inside the castle. That was fun, too. I love mini family vacations.



No comments:

Post a Comment