Saturday, October 4, 2008

I Love Eviething About Her

That's not strictly true. There are a number of things she does that I'm not crazy about, but rather crazy because of. But today is my little Evie's birthday, so for today, the title feels right. (and for my readers who don't know us, we pronounce "Evie" with a short e, like in Evan (or Ewelina, for that matter), just so you know and you can read it correctly from here on out)

One of the very best, most heart-bursting moments of my life was immediately after Ewelina was born. She had been extremely stressed during the labor and there were loads of doctors around to check her out. She'd been out and breathing oxygen, screaming her tiny lungs out for about 30 seconds before Greg went to the table on which she was being examined and began talking to her in a low voice, amidst all the doctors' poking, reaching, stretching, talking and relaying information. The moment she heard him speak her name she fell silent. She just stopped crying to listen to him. And she kept listening with all the craziness that was going on around her. She recognized her daddy before she'd ever seen him, and he had the power to soothe her then, and still does today.

Today she's nine. Nine seems like a good number of things to tell you that I love about my girl.



1. She sometimes tries really hard to change her mood/attitude when she knows she's heading into a bad one. You can watch her fight against her feelings, pretending to be positive until she actually feels that way and it becomes natural again. It's really inspiring.

2. She came and laid by me on the bed in the hotel last weekend while David and Aaron were playing in the bathroom and said, "Let's talk, mom." When I asked what about she said, "Girl stuff." I loved that.

3. She's amazing at encouraging others. When she was in first grade I once had to take something to her class during school that she'd forgotten to take. When I opened the door I saw all the kids working on some art project. A boy from a few seats away was trying to get Evie's attention. I thought he was going to tell her that I was there. He wasn't. He showed her his art work and Evie smiled and said, "Wow, that looks really great!" or something and the boy sat back down in his chair with a smile on his face. There were at least three kids between them, but he wanted to show her because he knew she would give him positive feedback, and actually care to see his project.

4. She's always had a wonderful laugh. Always. It's one of my favorite sounds. She is wonderful about laughing at all of our jokes. She went through a phase of hating being the least funny one in the family. I explained to her that her gift was to make people feel great by laughing at their jokes and that that was at least as important as actually making the jokes. But really, she's getting funnier by the minute, too.

5. I totally trust her fashion sense. This probably says more about me than about her, but I love to take her along when I'm getting something for myself and ask her advice. She's a wonderful critic.

6. She loves to sing.

7. She's wonderful with her baby brother. She will watch him when I'm busy or tired and she does a great job. David has also always looked up to her, and they've been best friends for years.


8. She is a loyal friend. She stands up for her friends when others (sometimes her parents, unfortunately) question their motives/judgement.

9. She still gives great hugs. We recently realized that we hug far too infrequently and since then she comes up to me and reminds me. And she's still soft and great for hugging.

Happy Birthday to my dear girl! Here's to many more of the same (birthdays, not dear girls). You have been such a blessing in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment