Thursday, October 2, 2008

Something Funny and also Seven Ways in Which I am OCD

So I'm kind of sick of hearing about me, but I'm doing a tag. If you're sick of hearing about me, too, then watch this and skip the tag. But if you do want to read the tag, still watch this. It made my husband cry, and he doesn't do that a lot. I didn't cry, but I did laugh a lot. (Oh: Greg laughed till he cried.) I'm stealing it from our friends the Woods.


Chef Cooks 'Dream Omelet' From Recipe That Came To Him In A Dream

I've been tagged by both Heather and Pam, so I'm doing this since I like you both (if I'd been tagged by bloggers I hate, I would be much less likely to comply). It's actually supposed to be about unusual things about you, but as I made my list, I realized that many of them were at least semi OCD.


So I was thinking, "Yeah, I'm kinda quirky, I think. I'm sure there must be plenty of endearing little nuances I have." (And then I started thinking, "Is nuance the right word? Can you apply it to someone's quirks?" And then I looked it up and found that you sort of can't, I think, but decided I don't really care because it's a pretty word and I want it in my post. Much pretty than the word "quirk.") So I decided to ask my family (each individually). Number one below will be a record of their adoration of my individuality. After that, I thought it better to come up with some on my own.

1. I asked everyone, "what's something different or weird about me." After a moment's thought Evie said, "Your face!" Look what we're raising. Tsk tsk. I hope we haven't completely ruined her. David said, "That you try to make me do all the work in my books, even the stuff I'm not supposed to do yet." Greg said, "You have to tell them that you get mad at me if I eat the last brownie or cookie." (I wish I could deny this) Yes, they love me. (to his credit, though, Greg also suggested that I mention that I never get nervous around people, no matter how famous they may be, but I'm not going to mention that. Or is it too late?)

2. I can't be within 3 yards of anyone who's eating if I'm not eating as well. For some reason I can't accept the crunching and sloshing for what it is: eating noises, and all I hear are bad manners (even with people in my family who always chew with their mouths closed.) For the same reason I also can't stand to be the only one in a room eating. I have to leave the room. Like when we're watching TV and I go for a midnight bowl of cookie crisp with peanut butter, I have to eat it in the kitchen even though Greg wouldn't mind at all if I ate it right next to him on the couch.

3. I am the pickiest person on the planet about how groceries are packed. I am annoying about it, and if I try to restrain myself from commenting on someone else's technique or reorganizing things, well, I am incapable. (Not the stranger ahead of me in line, or anything, just the person I'm with.)

4. I always always always wash my hands first thing when coming home from anywhere (I think this might be fairly normal). The kids do too, of course. I also wish I could wash my hands four times during each grocery shopping trip

5. I couldn't pronounce my "r"s until third or fourth grade. In first grade my best friend's name was Rodney. He couldn't pronounce his "l"s. We called each other Wodney and Wisa. About a year ago for some reason a song that I'd learned in elementary school popped into my head. I'm pretty sure I hadn't sung it since then because I started singing out loud, "♪Abwaham Lincoln was a poow fawm boy♫, bown in the gweat midwest.♪" That was one of the strangest experiences I've had in a long time. (after years of speech therapy and thousands of recitations of "the rabbit ran around the tree," I got the pwopew pwonunciation down)

6. I sometimes look under my bed when I'm scared. Maybe everyone does this? Last night I was folding socks standing by my bed and I was pretty sure someone was going to grab my leg from under my bed, so I quickly dropped down to see who it was. We never keep anything under beds, which makes the searching for the sixth sense girl sitting under there quick and easy. By the way, she's never been there when I looked. Including last night. I've never felt disappointed about it, either.

7. Running out of ideas so... my favorite part about grocery shopping is gliding on the cart in the parking lot. It's especially good if the ground isn't flat. I get it moving really fast and then jump up and hang on the handle and just goooooooo. I sometimes do this in the store if I come to an empty aisle as well. I never see other people do this, but they must, right? I'm pretty sure everyone does this, and if they don't they should. They don't know what they're missing.

Okay, I don't really like tagging people because I hate making people feel obligated or annoyed. Instead I will tell you seven people that I think it would be interesting to read a list of quirks about. Then if they decided to write a post about them I'd be glad.

Kazzy from Kazzy's Ponderings
Liz from Jagardowie
Tyra from My World
Jess from Normalcy is not really my style (got you, Sister Whipple! You blog stalk me, I'll blog stalk you!!)
Adam from News and Nothings with the Lees
Jill from Thou shalt not whine
and I'll tag Ev, too so she'll have something to blog about at Evie's Magic World, soon to be renamed to Happily Evie After, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment